Average Emissions MonitoringThis page was last updated on 11th March 2022
VCA has been nominated by the Secretary of State for Transport to manage the collection and processing of average emissions data for both Light Duty Vehicles (LDVs) and later in 2021, the collection of data in respect of Heavy Duty Vehicles (HDVs).
VCA will also be responsible for levying fines where manufacturers exceed their emissions targets.
Further information, including the process for applying for UK derogations and eco-innovations will be published here as soon as it becomes available.
In the meantime, you can read the outcome from the consultation on regulating CO2 emission standards for new cars and vans after transition here.
The consultation on Regulating CO2 emission standards for new heavy-duty vehicles after transition can be found here.
- New Car and Van CO2 Regulations Guidance 2022 V2 (PDF)
- Guidance for Manufacturers on the New Heavy Duty Vehicles CO2 Regulations (DRAFT)
The VCA and the Department for Transport have run a number of workshops for vehicle manufacturers to help them understand the new UK CO2 emissions reporting and monitoring processes.
Please follow this link to view the PowerPoint slides from the workshop for Heavy Duty Vehicle manufacturers held on 9th September 2021.
Please follow this link to view the PowerPoint slides from the workshop for Car and Van manufacturers held on 9th December 2021.
Update: Car and Van CO2 regulation and Northern Ireland
Following feedback from the car and van carbon dioxide emission regulation workshop held by the Vehicle Certification Agency and the Department for Transport on the 30th March 2021, the decision has been made to bring vehicles registered in Northern Ireland in scope of the current Great Britain regime on 1st September 2021. This means that from 1st September 2021, new cars and vans registered in Northern Ireland will count towards a manufacturers average specific CO2 emissions and target calculations in 2021.
- DfT/VCA GB car and van CO2 emission regulations Manufacturer workshop (30 March 2021) (PPT)
- Average Emission Manufacturer Form (DOCX)
- Pooling Declaration Form (DOCX)
- UK Eco Innovation Application Form (DOCX)
- UK cars niche confidential derogation (XLSX)
- UK cars niche public derogation (XLSX)
- UK cars small volume confidential derogation (XLSX)
- UK cars small volume public derogation (XLSX)
- UK vans small volume confidential derogation (XLSX)
- UK vans small volume public derogation (XLSX)
- UK Reporting requirements for Multi Stage Vans (MSV) schema (PDF)
- 2021 Template for MSV N1 CO2 Reporting (XLSX)