Tanks and Pressure ReceptaclesThis page was last updated on 20th April 2021
Dangerous goods which are transported by road or rail within Great Britain must comply with the requirements of The Carriage of Dangerous Goods and Use of Transportable Pressure Equipment Regulations (CDG 2009) SI 2009, No 1348. These regulations implement the provisions of the European agreements, ADR, RID and the Transportable Pressure Equipment Directive (TPED) which, amongst other things, requires that tanks and pressure receptacles are tested, inspected and certified before they are first used and periodically thereafter. Only bodies appointed by the competent authority may undertake these tasks.
The Secretary of State for Transport, who is the competent authority for Great Britain, has set up an appointment scheme for conformity assessment and inspection bodies in order to meet these obligations. The scheme, which is operated by The VCA Dangerous Goods Office (VCA DGO), applies to:
- all tanks built for domestic use before 10 May 2004 (UK tanks)
The test and inspection procedure for UK tanks can be found HERE (PDF)
- all tanks built to the standards laid down in RID/ADR
Guidance on the application of EN 12972:2007 to inspections of RID/ADR tanks (PDF)
- all transportable pressure equipment
and to bodies performing the functions of:
- verification and certification of the design and/or construction of tanks and transportable pressure equipment and/or
- initial examination and testing of tanks and transportable pressure equipment or examination and testing following a repair or modification to the tank shell and/or
- periodic or intermediate examination and testing of tanks and transportable pressure equipment
Conformity assessment and inspection bodies may be appointed for one or more of the above functions but do not take on the role of the competent authority, responsibility for which remains with VCA DGO (administrative) and The Department for Transport Dangerous Goods Division (policy).
UKAS charge a fee for accreditation, details of which should be obtained from them.
VCA DGO charge fees for functions relating to appointment according to the following scale:
- Initial appointment as an Appointed Person or Appointed Body: £1000.00
- Variation or extension of scope: £300.00
- Annual fee for maintaining existing appointments: £600.00
VAT is not applicable.
Please email any questions regarding Tanks and Pressure receptacles to email@example.com