Importing a Vehicle – Commonly Used Terms

This page was last updated on 9th March 2020

What is a CoC?

Certificate of Conformity (CoC) is granted to a product that has met the regulatory, technical and safety requirements required  of The Type Approval process.

The Driver Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) will normally require a CoC before a vehicle can be registered in the UK. A CoC is required before an application under the Mutual recognition scheme can be accepted. Note that for Vans and Light Goods Vehicles, partial – incomplete (Stage 1 only) CoCs cannot be accepted.

To obtain an original duplicate of the CoC, you will need to contact the manufacturer direct (not the dealer), who may charge for this service. Important note: VCA do not hold, and are therefore not able to provide CoCs.

What is a Registration Document?

Also known as a V5C vehicle registration certificate or log book. This is the document issued and managed by the Driver Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) that records details about the vehicle and the name of the registered keeper. You can apply for a replacement here:

What is a Commission Notice Letter

This carries out the same function as a CoC. This document is provided by the manufacturer as evidence of the test standards that the vehicle has met.